Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Whatever Happened to Valiant's X-O Manowar Letter Column?

 


In the Pre-Order edition of last year's X-O Manowar #1, writer Dennis Hopeless expressed interest in starting a letter column. He said he looked forward to the give-and-take of interacting with X-O's passionate readership. On Twitter, Valiant Entertainment made another call for correspondence. 

I'd been hoping--for years--the Valiant would start putting letter columns in their books. Finally, my much desired letter column had arrived! So, with comic shops closed, and no new Valiant Comics (let alone those x-o-lent X-O Manowar comics) coming out, I took up Dennis Hopeless and Valiant's call, wrote a letter, and dutifully emailed it to Shanhara at Valiant Comics.

Then I waited. And waited. And waited. 

 


 

After a wait of all-too-many months, X-O Manowar #2 arrived. I hurriedly flipped to the Pre-Order section. What? No letter column? No letters from me or from Dennis Hopeless Hallum's other readers? No interaction with this X-O-lent scribe.

What on Earth (or in space) was Valiant Comics playing at?

Hm. Okay. It would be there for X-O Manowar #3, right?

 


 

Sadly, no.

Not even in X-O Manowar #4 did Dennis Hopeless Hallum's greatly desired letter column appear.

 

 

Sadly, in addition to all its Human victims, the pandemic killed a lot of things. A lot of really good things that added fun and meaning to our lives. 

I guess the X-O Manowar letter column was just another casualty.

 

 

I hope I'm premature in pronouncing the death of Valiant's X-O Manowar letter column. I hope it will appear in issue #5. In these difficult and isolating times, I would really value an interaction with Dennis Hopeless Hallum and my fellow readers.

Dragon Dave

 


No comments:

Post a Comment