Thursday, August 26, 2021

Ninjak #2 Spotlight: Inside Cover Design

Ninjak #2 Cover A by David Nakayama

 

On reflection, I think Javier Pulido's art style in Ninjak #1 was so different that I largely spent my review coming to terms with it. If I'm honest, I'm still not sure how I feel about his remake of my favorite MI-6 Ninja/Spy series. But one thing that Ninjak #2 made apparent to me was how well the inside covers set us up for the story in each issue. So before I move on to talking about Javier's penciling and inking, I thought I'd take a moment to focus on the inside cover for Ninjak #2.

 


First off, on the top left corner of the inside cover, you'll find what looks like a miniaturized spy camera. This is a tool used by secret agents in all the classic spy movies and TV shows. I can definitely see MI-6 issuing Myna with one of these.



Below the spy camera is a post card from the Outer Hebrides. If you remember from Ninjak #1, after the chaos Daylight unleashed by releasing the identities of MI-6 agents, Ninjak and Myna flew from Turkey to Amsterdam. Then they traveled by train to England. I'm not sure what countries they traveled through, or for that matter where the train crash and the fight in Ninjak #2 occurs. But I will tell you that Ninjak and Myna do travel to Scotland later in this issue.

Hope that's not too much of a spoiler.

 


Here's another one of Myna's postcards. Like the Outer Hebrides, Stirling Castle is one of the great tourist locales of Scotland. Neither locale is close to each other. Still, I can imaging Myna buying both postcards, and thinking, "I'd like to visit that place someday."



Here we glimpse a file on Colin King, aka Ninjak. As he's been working for MI-6 for a long time, as well as acting as an independent agent, I imagine MI-6 holds quite extensive records on him. 

We see here that this is file Colin King No. 2. As this is issue #2, that's a nice touch.



Here's one of Ninjak's throwing stars. It's not only a classic ninja weapon, but one of Ninjak's favorites.



I'm not sure what this carving or etching represents, but it's clear that a lot of time and craftsmanship went into forging this weapon. No wonder Colin uses these throwing stars so often.



A map of Edinburgh seems like something that Myna would pick up when she and Colin travel to Scotland. While she could purchase a burner phone and use the internet to find her way around, who knows who might find a way to track her searches? Daylight's resources seem pretty unlimited at this point.

This is definitely the safer way to navigate right now.



Myna has a nice, clear printing style. I'd say that's an essential skill in spycraft, if you need to send messages the old fashioned way. 

 

From Ninjak #1

While I'm sure she'd love to send these postcards to her parents, I'm guessing Myna is using them for field reports, and leaving them in previously arranged dropboxes and hiding places. Cab drivers in London must pass a rigorous test about the ins and outs of the city before receiving a license. I'm guessing Myna, and all MI-6 recruits, would need to memorize those locations before being assigned to field missions.



What a beautifully thought-out inside front cover! I don't know if artist Javier Pulido, editor Lysa Hawkins, or someone else created this stunning page, but it's a wonderful way to prepare readers for the exciting events in Ninjak #2. 

Well done, inside front cover artist extraordinaire!

Dragon Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment