Thursday, November 4, 2021

Ninjak #4 Spotlight: Penciling & Inking Part 1

Ninjak #4 Pre-Order Cover by Pedro Andreo


 

Images can effect you powerfully. Sometimes you'll realize why. Other times, you won't. At least, not right away. This certainly proves true in the introductory pages of Ninjak #4 drawn by pencil and inker Javier Pulido. 

Consider the image below. This half-of-a-man's face struck me powerfully. Gradually, over multiple readings, an association came. Now when I look at it, I think of the face in the moon in Georges Melies' 1902 short film "A Trip to the Moon."

 

 

When I saw this next image--another of Javier's now legendary story titles--I immediately thought of a cow's face. I still do. Why should I think that? 

Here's another, later association: the bound man being tossed into the dark sea symbolizes how Daylight's actions are effecting the world. I'm not saying that was Javier's intent. That's just the way this stylized title makes me feel.

 

 


 

This next panel reminds us that Ninjak's interrogation methods occasionally fall outside the Geneva conventions. The way Ninjak questioned people in previous series often seemed unnecessarily graphic. This time, I didn't even think about it. 

At least, not much. Not at first.

The way he's inset the smaller panel of Ninjak talking, relating the events at a later time, I didn't even notice the man lying on the carpet with a knife in his head on the first few readings. Showing a knife in someone's head seems pretty graphic to me. Yet, this image doesn't bother me.



One last thought, and I'll let you get on with your day. One thing that struck me about Ninjak's hoodie was how dotted the fabric was. It's like Javier stippled it. I imagine he did it more easily (and more quickly) on computer than he could have by hand, but I still wonder why he did it.  

Why did he wish to present the fabric in this way? To merely add texture, or for some other reason?

 

 

Javier leaves us with some powerful images in the opening pages of Ninjak #4. Whatever the reason he didn't complete the issue, I hope he is safe and well. Perhaps some day he can return, and entertain Valiant Comics readers with his unique penciling and inking style.

Dragon Dave  

To see how the first three panels are presented on each page, click the link below. (To see how the last panel falls on the page, I apologize, but you'll have to read Ninjak #4).

Ninjak #4 Preview Pages

No comments:

Post a Comment