Monday, November 29, 2021

Harbinger #1 Sketch Project

 

The Harbinger #1 Cover A by Robbi Rodriguez


I sketch irregularly, and when I do, it's usually landscapes. But I've wanted to do more comic-style art lately, and I really enjoyed The Harbinger #1. So one day I pulled up my review copy, and looked for something I thought I could (maybe!) draw. 


Scene from The Harbinger #1

This panel drawn by penciler & inker Robbi Rodriguez and colored by Rico Renzi really speaks to me. Thankfully, it also looked like something (maybe!) I could tackle. Having the review copy on my computer allowed me to enlarge it, so I could better see what Robbi had drawn.


Original Pencil Sketch

As I drew, I remembered my conversation with authors Jackson Lanzing and Collin Kelly at the Knowhere Games and Comics signing for the store's variant cover of The Harbinger #1. I mentioned that Robbi's art style seemed reminiscent of Manga. Collin agreed with me, and said that he and Jackson called it "Punk Rock Akira." 

 


 

By the way, Akira was a long-running Manga, originally published in Japan in the 1980s. Marvel Comics published a colorized version of the series in the United States, and I've seen B&W volumes in my local comic shop. If you can't find hardcover or trades paperbacks of it, your local comic shop can likely order one for you.


Re-Sketch using a Black pencil


After I finished in my 5.5"x8.5" sketchbook, I scanned the drawing in my computer, and enlarged it to fit on an 8"x11" paper (with 1" margins). I printed it on regular copy paper, and taped it to the back of a 9"x12" sheet of Bristol paper. Using a lightboard, I redrew my sketch with pencil, then went over it with a black colored pencil.

 

Original sketch & re-sketch comparison


I had thought of using colored pencils, as that's my usual go-to. But I know how long it takes to build up strong, rich colors. As my goal is to do more drawing, I opted for markers. Then I inked over my pencils.


Final Colored Version


Artist Sweeney Boo's variant cover for The Harbinger #1 suggests that Peter's relationship with Cici will develop into a romance. Has she read more of the series than me? Or does her artwork reflect how she'd like their relationship develop?

Whatever the answer, Cici certainly seems a better match for Peter than Kris Hathaway was in author Joshua Dysart's Harbinger series. I look to seeing what turns and twists Peter and Cici's lives take in upcoming issues of Jackson Lanzing and Collin Kelly's new series.

Dragon Dave

P.S. If you'd like to read about my visit to The Harbinger #1 signing at Knowhere Games & Comics, here's the link:

The Harbinger #1 Goes Knowhere

No comments:

Post a Comment