Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Shadowman #3 Spotlight: Penciling & Inking

Shadowman #3 Pre-Order Cover by Robbi Rodriquez

 

In Shadowman #3, I really appreciate how penciler and inker Jon Davis-Hunt's love of place (or setting) roots me immediately in the story. Like his depiction of New Orleans in Shadowman #1, this view of Barcelona feels real and lived in.



 

The way he immediately communicates the hurt Shadowman is suffering helps me care for Jack Boniface: the man behind the mask.

 


The architectural splendor of this entryway reminds me just how old these Spanish streets must be. 

The darkened interior, with the white fog rising from the ground, suggests a crypt or tomb.

 

 

With the way these demons or damned spirits are leaping out at Shadowman, it'd be easy to not notice the carvings on the lintel. I can't quite make out what the shapes above the door represent--skulls, souls in torment--but they reinforce the suggestion of a tomb or crypt.



 I also appreciate how photorealistic the people in the alley look. 


 

I haven't seen such an evocative series of panels since Secret Weapons and the first four issues of Livewire

I wonder. Is Jon Davis-Hunt related to Raul Allen and Patricia Martin?

 


I generally dislike full page panels and double-page spreads. No matter how well done, they often feel like they cheat the reader of a deeper story. 

The way Jon Davis-Hunt suggests a rich setting on this full page, knowing that much of it will be lost by inset panels that move the story along, seems like generosity of spirit. 

Here's a slice of that incredibly detailed drawing.



In Shadowman #3, Jon Davis-Hunt make this horror story more real to me. I almost want to visit Barcelona now. 

If only he hadn't made Spain look so scary!

Dragon Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment