Saturday, May 29, 2021

Tony Moore Shadowman Art Comparison

 

Shadowman Promo Art by Tony Moore


I can't say I thought a lot about this Shadowman promotional art when I first saw it. I mean, what is there to see? Shadowman surrounded by darkness, and obscure shapes wreathed in red?

It's one of those images that rewards the careful viewer. But how many people are going to just stand (or sit) and look at an image?


Shadowman Uncolored Art by Tony Moore

When I saw this Black & White artwork by Tony Moore it blew me away. Valiant shared it on Twitter, along with other coloring pages. Suddenly I could see all the work the artist put into this scene. 

When the pandemic hit, disrupting all our plans, I appreciated all that Valiant Entertainment did for the fans online. I wasn't ready to color then. Still, I made sure I kept the project for later.

Of all the coloring pages Valiant shared, this was the one that really inspired me.


Shadowman #1 Pre-Order Cover by Tony Moore


I'll never understand why Tony Moore blacked out so much of his fine penciling and inking for the promotional art. At least, when Valiant repurposed his image for the Pre-Order Cover, he or they lightened it a little. Suddenly you could see things a little more, such as the winged insect in the bottom left. But you only get a hint of the spider on the top left.

Tony Moore put so much detailed work into his art. Most of it will never be seen by Shadowman fans. Totally baffling!


My Shadowman Coloring Page


What initially attracted me to Valiant Comics was a tale of the Deadside. I really responded to how weird and colorful that nether-realm was. So I did my best to celebrate all that the Deadside could be in my colored version.

My finished Tony Moore Shadowman coloring project didn't get much love on Twitter. Oh well. I like it. My wife liked it so much she made sure we displayed it right away. 

I guess that will have to be enough for me.

Dragon Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment