Thursday, April 1, 2021

Shadowman #1 Review: Story

Shadowman #1 Jeff Dekal Limited Edition Cover
 

Perhaps it's the fact that I'm not a horror buff that has me fascinated about Shadowman #1. I'm surprised by how much this comic issue has drawn me in. I just find writer Cullen Bunn's notion that the Deadside is leaking into our world compelling.

 


We all know our world is fragile. Even aside from the recent pandemic, we've seen battles with racism, and witnessed attacks on our democratic system of government. That's apart from Global Warming, which most people seem strangely unconcerned about, but threatens to displace millions as it slowly but surely changes our ecosystem.

 


So when I see a story about people trying to break down the boundaries protecting our world, in the selfish hopes of increasing their own power, the story resonates with me. For, with all the dangers that threaten our world, selfishness always lies at the core.

Whether it's poor health practices, a refusal to recognize the rights of others, or an unwillingness to protect nature, there will always be bad actors who don't care who they hurt in order to get what they desire.



Perhaps that's why I'm as intrigued by Baron Samedi's appearance in Shadowman #1 as Jack Boniface is. Baron Samedi doesn't seem like he has a vested interest in partnering with Jack. What does the King Of Death stand to gain by allying himself with a protector of our world?

 


Has Baron Samedi developed a new interest in protecting Life? Is he lonely, and reaching out for friendship? Is he trying to groom Jack to become his successor? Or do the actions of bad Human actors, trying to pry open portals to the Deadside, threaten the health and integrity of his realm?

 

 

Whatever Baron Samedi's reasons, he'll launch Jack on a rather horrific adventure in Shadowman #1. He's like: "We've got a problem, Shadowman, and I need you to solve it for me." I wonder how often the Baron will show up in subsequent issues, as Jack travels to other locals besides New Orleans. I also wonder if the Baron doesn't have some grand plot in the works. Through his guidance, could he be leading Jack to create an even greater crisis than the ones he seems to be solving? 

I'll have to watch as the series develops to learn the answers to those questions. Writer Cullen Bunn: you've got me hooked!

Dragon Dave

P.S. Like me, you may have little chance of ever owning the Shadowman #1 Jeff Dekal Limited Edition Glass Cover, but you should definitely pre-order Shadowman #1 by April 5, 2021 to get the cover you most want (and can realistically afford). Plus, if you pre-order the entire series, you'll be protecting our realm against the sinister forces of cancellation, which always threaten the stories we love.

No comments:

Post a Comment