Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Bloodshot Book One Introduction

 

Bloodshot Book One--Cover by Declan Shalvey

 

Back in February, before he left Valiant Entertainment, Vice President of Marketing and Sales Matthew Klein sent me a review copy of Bloodshot Book One. Initially, I used it to refresh my memory of Zealot's first appearance, as the character reappeared (sporting a remarkable transformation) in Bloodshot #11. After reviewing that issue, I intended on diving into a review of Bloodshot Book One

As Valiant ended up releasing Bloodshot #12 so soon after its predecessor, I instead got a review package for that. Thus, somehow a review of Bloodshot Book One fell onto the back burner. Still, with me doing twenty-four posts in March, most of them reviews, I doubt anyone at Valiant is likely to complain.

So while I await the arrival of the Savage #3 review package, I thought I'd start digging into Bloodshot Book One



In addition to Declan Shalvey's cover art, the good folks at Valiant Entertainment include this neat logo inside. It reminds me of the famous James Bond movie intro. Should Valiant Entertainment and DMG Entertainment make more Bloodshot movies, this would be a good introductory image or animation.


 

Bloodshot #1 Carbon Fiber Variant Cover by Jonboy Meyers

Travis Escarfullery, Director of Design and Production at Valiant, regularly produces specialty covers for the first issue of a series that amaze and inspire. He does this by printing great paintings on exotic materials like metal and glass. Of all the specialty covers I've seen, I've always liked this one the best. It's from a carbon fiber variant cover of Bloodshot #1. Well, there's no way I could afford one of those! 

With its inclusion in Bloodshot Book One, I can gaze awestruck at this beautiful painting by Jonboy Meyers any time I want. 

 


Here's another version of Declan Shalvey's cover painting. This white & red version is used throughout Bloodshot Book One as a chapter image. The artwork introduces each issue, and links them together thematically. If Declan's cover image doesn't  shout Bloodshot to you, this version is guaranteed to scream Bloodshot loud enough to make your ears bleed.

Bloodshot Book One contains the 2019 Valiant Free Comic Book Day Bloodshot story, as well as issues #1,2, and 3 of writer Tim Seeley's fantastic series. I've never been all that hot on digital comics, let alone digital trades. But Valiant Entertainment has loaded so many extras into this digital book that it qualifies as a virtual armory. 

Thanks again for sending me this digital copy of Bloodshot Book One to review, Matthew. It's a winner, and I look forward to delving into its treasures in the future.

Dragon Dave

P.S. For old school comic fans who insist that a book is only a book if you can hold it in your hands, a print edition of Bloodshot Book One is also available.

No comments:

Post a Comment