Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Bloodshot #12 Review: Penciling & Inking

 

Cover A by Adelso Corona

 

For those of you who may be wondering, I postponed my reviews of Bloodshot #12 to talk up Shadowman. Now that the F.O.C. (final orders due date) for Shadowman #1 has come and gone, I'm taking time to dig into the last issue of writer Tim Seeley's Bloodshot series. If you're a Bloodshot fan, take heart: Valiant Entertainment has announced that Bloodshot will return next February. If you're a Shadowman fan, I hope you pre-ordered your copy of Shadowman #1, if not the entire series.

Artist Pedro Andreo did the penciling and inking in Bloodshot #12. While he mostly respects panel boundaries, when he breaks them, it's for a reason. In this case, it's mighty X-O.



 

I love how he shows X-O Manowar larger than life here. Aric really leaps off the page. I almost feel as if I'm looking at a 3D comic. I also like how each panel on this page shows the action of this decisive battle from a slightly different viewpoint.

Also, I like the way Pedro shows him flying. Aric's gentle course corrections--anything but a straight line--add visual interest.

 


In the government briefing room, the way Pedro Andreo shows Mr. Tull brings to mind the way artists depicted him in Joshua Dysart's Harbinger series. Mr. Tull's expression and body language also underline that the others in the room don't respect him, as the way they cut him dead shows.

 


This panel reminds me of scenes from Valiant Entertainment's first Bloodshot series, started off by writer Duane Swierczynski. Project Rising Spirit officials often met with government officials to discuss why their missions had been less successful than expected. 

Even back then, Bloodshot had a way of messing with their carefully laid plans.

 


I'll say it again: I love how Valiant Entertainment has brought Wilfred Wigans from the Bloodshot movie into their Bloodshot series. Here, I really believe he's being controlled by Project Rising Spirit and Rampage (sorry: Harmony). I also like the way Pedro shows us the computer displays in such a heads-up, dynamic way.

 


This scene takes me back to the beginning of the series, particularly issue #2, when someone was interfering with Bloodshot's ability to control his nanites. That time it was Eidolon; this time it's Harmony. The way Pedro Andreo depicts Bloodshot make me feel for Ray just as much as the way penciler Brett Booth and inker Adelso Corona did in Bloodshot #2. After all the publishing disruptions caused by the pandemic, it's great to have that reminder. The two incidents bookend the series nicely.

Well done on Bloodshot #12, Pedro Andreo. Thanks for finishing this series in such a strong and meaningful way!

Dragon Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment