Tuesday, September 7, 2021

A Free Comic Book Day Celebration

 


As you may recall, last month Valiant ran a contest on Free Comic Book Day. Although my wife and I were away from home, we were able to visit a comic shop. Thankfully, they had the Valiant 2021 FCBD issue, and I was able to submit an entry on Twitter. 

Imagine my surprise when Valiant notified me that I was a winner! Imagine my amazement when these terrific prizes arrived!

 


While I like and respect Robert Venditti and Matt Kindt's runs of X-O Manowar, I've very much enjoyed this new series written by Dennis "Hopeless" Hallum. Instead of fighting to preserve his Visigoth heritage, or fighting his sentient armor after what Shanhara inadvertently did to his family, Aric of Dacia, this 5th Century barbarian warrior, has opened himself up to whatever new opportunities life might bring his way. I've certainly appreciated the series lighter tone, given the pandemic we've all been living through.

In addition to this beautiful gold edition of X-O Manowar, I also appreciated the prequel story by Dennis and company in the Valiant 2021 FCBD issue. It addressed some of my questions about the backstory for the series, and what led Aric to settle in New York City. Thanks to everyone involved for that short, original story!

 


I also love this new pin they sent me. I don't attend many comic conventions, and given the way this pandemic keeps stretching on, I may not attend another for some time. So I keep photos from my last big convention, Wondercon 2019, on my computer. 

This was definitely one of my favorite moments from that convention--when I reconnected with then Marketing Manager Mel Caylo, and got to meet future Bloodshot editor Lysa Hawkins.

 


I've read nearly the entirety of present day Valiant Entertainment's Bloodshot series (even more than I have of X-O Manowar). Of all them, I've enjoyed writer Tim Seeley's recent series the best. Again, Bloodshot wasn't looking back on what he'd lost or couldn't have, but looking forward to what possibilities life might bring his way. Also, he's looking to serve others, not just protect his friends, or achieve his personal objectives. 

To echo editor Lysa Hawkins' words, Bloodshot finally became the hero of his own series. 

 


Many thanks to Valiant Entertainment for producing a FCBD issue, for holding such a fun contest, for commissioning the X-O Manowar prequel story, and for these very cool prizes. 

Dragon Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment