Friday, February 26, 2021

Bloodshot #11 Review: The Penciling of Pedro Andreo

 

I had hoped to share with you a Black & White drawing from Bloodshot #11. One of the nice features of the Pre-Order Editions is Valiant Comics always includes a few. These Black & White panels give you an insight into the production process, and allow you to see the Artist's penciling and inking before the Colorist takes over. But due to the storms hitting the middle of the country, my local comic shop didn't receive the Pre-Order Edition of Bloodshot #11. What can I say? When it snows, some comics are no-shows.

 

 

I really like the way Pedro Andreo has drawn Wilfred Wigans in this scene. He very much reminds me of the actor who played the character in the movie. I also like the way his head gently tilts to the side, and his eyes are glancing up. It magnifies the importance of KT, the other member of Bloodshot's team.

 

 

As you doubtless remember from the Bloodshot movie, KT is a former Navy diver. She was given artificial lungs by Project Rising Spirit (or if you prefer, Rising Spirit Technologies). In the movie, her empathy for Bloodshot causes her to break with RST, and lead a coup that allows her, Wigans, and Bloodshot to escape the clutches of the weapons company. The way Pedro draws her here, she's clearly the leader of the team.

Plus, they're going underwater, which is her domain.

 


Here we have the character Zealot, in full-on Terminator mode. I'm not going to tell you a lot about him, as I don't want to spoil the reveal when you read Bloodshot #11. But from the way Pedro Andreo draws him here, you know he'll prove a real challenge.

 


I also love this underwater base. Ordinarily, I'm a fan of cramming as much narrative onto each page as possible. Hey, I love my comics to be long reads, okay? Anyway, this is the exception to the rule. Pedro makes me wish those upper two panels hadn't cut off my view.

 


Everyone has their favorite depiction of their heroes. Personally, I like the buff version of Bloodshot, rather than the skinny way some artists draw him. I will admit that I wouldn't mind a more detail on his facial features here. Still, it's a small panel.

 


Finally, this is a great man vs machine pose. We get to see Bloodshot charging in to meet his foe, and all the glorious detail of Zealot's construction. Yet what I find most interesting in this panel is it's slightly off-kilter angle. It's like the pressure of all that water over the base is distorting our perspective inside. Or perhaps Pedro is a fan of film noir?

While I've enjoyed reading my review copy, there's nothing like holding an actual comic in your hands. I can't wait for the roads to clear so my Pre-Order Edition of Bloodshot #11 can arrive at my local comic shop. Hey Snow Gods, give it a rest, please!

Dragon Dave



No comments:

Post a Comment