Monday, December 6, 2021

X-O Manowar #3 Covers Part 2

 

X-O Manowar #3 Pre-Order Cover by Giuseppe Camuncoli

Giuseppe contributed a terrific Pre-Order cover for Savage. This X-O Manowar cover is also super. I suppose I could try and tie it in with the Labors of Aric in X-O Manowar #3, but that would be an awfully big stretch. So I appreciate it as a purely conceptual piece, rather than trying to imagine it as Aric and Shanhara conquering the volcano, putting out southern California wildfires, or attacking the nanite swarm.

This cover makes me think of how often Aric travels through space. It reminds me of Star Trek and Star Wars, where the look of space changes as ships travel faster than light. While I'll be sad to see the era of Dennis Hopeless Hallum and Emilio Laiso end, perhaps the next era of X-O Manowar could involve more interstellar adventures?

I'd welcome that. How about you? 


X-O Manowar #3 Sword of Shanhara Cover by Dustin Weaver

As I was preparing this post, my wife happened to pass by. She noticed this cover and she remarked on its beauty. I rate Dennis Weaver highly, not only because he wisely teamed with the late colorist Justin Ponsor to create great art for Marvel, but also because he published a highly enjoyable anthology series with Image titled Paklis. Someday, I hope he can continue that series.*

I see this painting as relating to the terrific battle in X-O Manowar #4, in which Aric takes on the Ukrainian warlord Yakiov in his adopted city of New York. As this issue lays the groundwork for that final Aric vs Yakiov bout, you could view Dustin Weaver's cover as the final, unpublished page of X-O Manowar #3.

Again, these Sword of Shanhara covers were limited retailer incentives, so you'll have to hunt high-and-low to find them. Still, if these two covers are anything to go by, your search won't be anywhere near as trying as the rigors Aric undergoes daily as he defends all of us from natural disasters, man-made threats, and alien invasions.

Happy hunting!

Dragon Dave

*Someday soon, Dustin. Please!

No comments:

Post a Comment