Thursday, July 22, 2021

Shadowman Speaks Through Baron Samedi

 

David Nakayama art for Shadowman #2

 

I was searching the Ninjak #1 Limited Edition 25 Copy Incentive cover, but couldn't find it. All the comics sites listed it, but no images were available. So I visited the David Nakayama's website. I didn't find the Ninjak cover I was searching for, but I found this beauty instead.

According to the artist, this was to have been a 100 Copy Incentive Cover. I don't know if it was ever produced. Still, you can tell how proud David Nakayama is of it by the way he describes it, and the way he features it among select examples of his efforts.

The spoken word is a powerful thing. All too often, we attach more importance to what people do than what they say. Yet it is the words we speak that have the power to wound or heal, to strengthen a friendship or transform someone into your enemy.

 


 

So I wonder about this imagery. Baron Samedi stands before Shadowman's mouth. Or does he walk out of it?

Is Shadowman breathing him out, suggesting that his power ultimately comes from the Baron? Or is the Baron influencing our hero Jack Boniface so that he begins to think and talk--and yes, act--like the Loa of the Dead?

Some intriguing thoughts, courtesy of artist David Nakayama.

Dragon Dave

Related Links

Shadowman #2 on David Nakayama's website


No comments:

Post a Comment